Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fast Food

What a sneaky and conniving business, fast food. It has been my vice, I admit, I am a fast food junkie. It is so convenient for us to be to able to run around the island with errands and not once have to stop off at home to grab something to eat. Anything I want is at my disposal from the comfort of my own window. All I have to do is, with a flick of my wrist, roll down my window and simply speak my order. Which, by the way, consist of hundreds of calories, salt, grease, you name it. I have been addicted for years. It is easier to appease the kids with it, or to take the easy way out and not cook dinner. I have become an ever increasing donator to the grease factories that line the streets. Now, my body has taken the toll of indulgence for too long and is screaming with red lights flashing, stop! Thanks to fast food, I have an autoimmune disorder. Yes, that is right, almost worse than cancer, it kills you slowly, is decades old and they just have come up with a cure. I wish I could just turn liberal for one second and really place all my blame on fast food for my bulging diseased body. But in all reality, I am not, and will take responsibility for my actions. I have been recently told my doctor that I have right now to start making some serious life changes. Now, not the next couple of years to think about it, NOW. Not to alarm any or you, I am not dying anytime soon. But if I keep up horrible eating habits, my health will rapidly deteriorate. So, this may not mean much to any of you, but I am glad to say that I have been fast food free for a measly two weeks. I have also been given strict orders to stick to the low glycemic food list and stay completely away from any and all forms of starch for the next three months. So far, that order has proven to be a harder challenge for me. But with much effort and support from Kip, we have been making alot of cauliflower mashed potatoes, egg plant Parmesan and a ton of cabbage (I know, I could do better with variety). To keep me on a straight path, my doctor wants follow up visits with full reports on my success every two weeks. Might as well while we still have good insurance. This may have been a boring novel to some of you but that's what is going on in my life right now.

2 comments:

King Family said...

Two weeks is great! Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

I am so excited for you Miss! I did a no fast food thing after I graduated from high school and during that time I felt so good and like I had more energy. I can't say the same right now but you inspire me to quit fast food altogether again. You are great! We miss you! Good Luck! Lynne